The Children’s Home has worked for 160 years to ensure that the holidays are a happy time for the children in our care. Each child works with mentors and staff to complete a holiday wish list. New lists might be added during the course of the season as more children move into our Home.
Will you join us in this long-lasting tradition and share some joy with the kids who need it most?
Thanks to Our Sponsors!
Guidelines & FAQs
- Gifts should be unwrapped. Wrapped gifts waste resources and time, but donations of wrapping paper, bows and gift tags are appreciated!
- Please clearly label gifts with the intended recipients’ names, if applicable. However, please do not mark the gift directly with permanent marks.
- PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE: Toy guns, religious literature, used items, aerosol sprays, glass bottles, or homemade food products.
- Media gifts (e.g. books, comics, videos, video games) should be PG-13, PG, G, or comparable rating.
- Gifts can be dropped off at the Home during one of the drop-off days (see the “Drop-off Days” tab) or shipped directly to:
The Children’s Home
Attn: Wish List
205 Bloomsbury Avenue
Catonsville, MD 21228
Please be sure to include your name and email address with any shipped packages so that we may send an acknowledgment.
- Other than wish list items, what should I donate? Please consider donating a Cottage Gift, sponsoring a holiday activity, or becoming a Corporate Sponsor. We’ve included some gift suggestions on the “Gift Ideas” & “Other Ways to Give” tabs.
- Should I include batteries? Please do! We want to be sure your gifts can be enjoyed right away.
- Can I donate gift cards? Please do! Not only are these great for holiday gifts, any extras can be used as incentives for residents throughout the year.
- Are squirt/nerf guns allowed? We cannot accept donations of any style of toy gun.
- Can I write a personal note? Yes! However, please do not include your last name or contact information.
- Can I volunteer to help? There are a number of volunteer roles available. To sign-up, please see the “Volunteer Opportunities” tab.
- Can I give my gifts directly? To protect the privacy of the kids in our care, presents are distributed by staff.
- My question isn’t answered here. Who should I contact? Please contact Christy Page via email or 410-744-7310, ext. 132.
We kindly ask that donations be delivered during one of the below Drop-Off delivery windows to Building J on our campus. Click here for directions.
- Saturday, December 2nd, 10a-12p
- Saturday, December 9th, 10a-12p
- Sunday, December 10th, 9a-12p at the Catonsville Holiday Farmers’ Market
- Wednesday, December 13th, 5p-7p
- Saturday, December 16th, 10a-2p
- Wednesday, December 20th, 5-7p
Volunteers and staff will be available to accept your gifts curbside. If you cannot make one of these times, please call us during normal business hours to schedule a special drop-off session.
We invite your corporation to play a pivotal role in spreading joy to the children in our care. By becoming a corporate sponsor of our Holiday Giving Program, you’ll not only make a profound impact but also enjoy exclusive recognition that extends far beyond the holiday season.
As a corporate sponsor, you’ll have your logo and name prominently featured on our website, underlining your dedication to community and children’s well-being. Each sponsor will also receive a dedicated social media post, showcasing your commitment in a way that reaches countless hearts.
However, please note that there are only a limited number of sponsorship spots available. This is your chance to stand out as a holiday hero, so act swiftly to secure your position in our special program. Contact us today to learn more about our corporate sponsorship opportunities and be a part of the magic of giving back!
Other Ways to Give
Each cottage council met to ask for specific items for all of the residents to enjoy, please consider gifting the below items or activities. We can also create a package that fits your needs and budget. Contact Christy Page via email or at 410-744-7310 for more information.
- Video Game Systems
- Raven’s Tickets
- Indoor basketball hoop (STURDY!)
- Sleds for the whole group (14 residents)
- Large TV (over 50″)
- Computer Desks/Stations
- Gaming Chairs
- Projector & Outdoor Movie Screen
- Pizza party / Ice Cream Social / Painting party
- Activity passes (e.g. skating, skiing, arcade, movie passes, sleigh ride, etc.)
Virtual Wish Lists
To make it easier, please consider shopping from one of our online wish lists, which can ship gifts directly to The Children’s Home. NOTE: Please list your name and address in the gift note so that we can send a proper thank you letter.
Lastly, please consider making a direct financial donation. This helps to cover extra activities and gifts, especially for those kids who come to us just days before the holiday. It also allows The Children’s Home to allocate funds to where they are really needed. Every dollar counts. Follow this link to make a donation.
- Gift Certificates / Cards: Walmart, Target, GameStop, Amazon, Roblox, McDonalds, Subway, Pizza, Forever 21, Foot Locker, Bath & Body Works, etc.
- Passes: movie theater, bowling, miniature golf, and skating
- Games & Toys for Teens: fidget toys, playing cards, battery-operated handheld games, remote-control cars
- Books, movies, or video games: should be PG-13, PG, G, or comparable rating.
- Hobby & Crafts: jewelry making or beading kits, diaries, model cars/planes, puzzles, sketch pads
- Small Electronics: portable music players, Bluetooth speakers and headsets, electronic handheld games
- Sports Equipment: baseball/softball gloves, basketballs, footballs, bikes, roller skates, scooters, and helmets
- Computers, laptops, tablets & software licenses: educational and games (non-violent)
- Personal Accessories: watches, wallets, jewelry, backpacks, and duffle bags.
- Bedding: comforters and bed sets in Twin XL
- Clothing: Hoodies, joggers, leggings, fun t-shirts, pajamas, etc. (adult sizes, please)
- Underclothes: Undershirts, nightwear, socks, underwear, bras, etc. (adult sizes, please)
- Footwear: socks, slippers, slipper-socks, shower shoes, crocs, and adidas-style athletic slides
- Outerwear: coats and jackets (adult sizes), umbrellas, windbreakers
- Toiletries: body wash, acne products, dental hygiene, shampoo & conditioner, hair accessories, etc. (Full-sized, plastic containers, please!)
Creating a holiday experience for so many kids takes a lot of love and a lot of work. Help make the holidays brighter by signing up to be a volunteer “elf.” We have several opportunities throughout the month of December, with differing activity levels. Please note that in-person volunteers must be age 12 or older, and that each volunteer ages 12-18 will need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Drop-off elf: Greet donors curbside to accept donations during evening and weekend shifts. Bring in and sort donations as appropriate. This role requires lifting and navigating many stairs.
- Sorting elf: Sort and review donations during short daytime shifts. This role requires lifting, navigating many stairs, and operating in close quarters.
- Wrapping elf: Help wrap presents in the days just before Christmas. This role requires patience, ability to operate in chaos/cluttered quarters, and navigating entry/exit stairs.
- Greetings elf: Sign up to make holiday greeting cards for each of our residents, using the names on our wish list page. This is a great activity for a group or organization. Please sign these cards with only your first name and do not include any contact information. These cards can be delivered during any Drop-Off Day.
- Stocking elf: Sign up to make personalized stockings for residents using the names on our wish list page. The stockings can be delivered during any Drop-Off Day.
- Community elf: Help us spread the word by sharing our Facebook and Instagram posts, sharing this flyer, or otherwise help to get the word out. (No sign-up required.)
Questions? Please contact Christy Page via email.
About The Home
The Children’s Home provides residential and community services to promote long-term well-being and success for vulnerable kids from across Maryland by giving them a safe and caring environment. With your help, we can continue to offer high-quality services to the kids who need them most.
Long-Term Residential Programs
VR, JR, & FM Cottages – Extended group home for ages 13-20
Successful Starts – Semi-independent living for ages 16-20
Short-Term Residential Programs
Diagnostic Center – Crisis intervention for girls ages 13-19
Transitions – Diagnostic and therapeutic program for boys ages 13-17
Make a Donation to the Holiday Giving Program
When you give to The Children’s Home Holiday Giving program, you help us cover the cost of holiday activities and gifts, especially for those kids who come to us just days before the holiday. This also allows us to allocate funds to where they are most needed.
Whether it is to support activities, gifts, decorations, or basic needs, we will make sure your donation helps the kids in our care to have a holiday that SHINES!
If you registered an account, please enter your details below to login. If this is your first time, proceed to the donation form.